breakfast / Australian
Espresso French Toast with Fresh Berries
This espresso infused french toast is a popular weekend breakfast in Sean's house when they use up those last bits of bread before hitting the Sunday Noosa Farmer's Markets for a fresh loaf.
- 8 thick slices of stale good quality sourdough bread
- 6 eggs beaten
- 30 ml vanilla
- 75 ml freshly brewed espresso
- butter - enough to fry the bread
- Fresh berries - for serving
- Real Canadian Maple Syrup - for serving
- Fresh mint leaves - for garnish
- Preheat the frypan while you whisk the eggs with the vanilla and espresso.
- Dip bread into the egg mixture and allow to soak for between 60-90 seconds, continue to flip, and push the bread into the mix to saturate.
- Melt butter in the frypan and cook the soaked bread; ideally only turn once, so allow it to cook and brown for around 2 minutes. You want to caramelise the toast and cook the egg without burning the bread.
- Layer 4 plates with the slices of toast, scoops of Maleny Food Co. vanilla gelato or COYO vanilla bean and top with fresh berries and drizzle with maple syrup.